Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My First Official Meditation Class!

Yoga Guru: Are you free to teach the Mindfulness Meditation class tomorrow evening at 7:15pm at the studio?

I needed to pause and think about this for a bit.

A few years ago I had attended a speech/ lecture by Sri Sri Ravishankar, where he led us in a 20-30 minute meditation. I achieved a very deep level of meditation, and in someways lost touch with my body. In example my mind couldn't move my finger when I tried to will it, but let the will go as well. It was pretty amazing, and my first time going that deep. My point for this story was I felt the pressure to incite this deep of a meditation onto my new students. How would I do that?

There have been times when I have lead meditations before, but they were usually small groups, my friends, or one on one. I was nervous leading the meditation on my birthday, but I did not have too many huge expectations for it, since I had meditated with my friends on different occasions. This just seemed more formal, and official in someways.

After talking to myself a bit, and sharing my dilemma with a few close friends/ my sister, I was encouraged to 1- believe in my self  2- realize that I am not expected to lead them into that deep a meditation 3- make it my own. So I replied with a big "Yes".

Friday morning came by, and I was hoping to compose a meditation with my sister's help. However Thursday evening got busy, and I needed to write and practice it before I taught it. It was time to make it my own. So late Thursday night I wrote down 4 to 5 pages of notes, and practiced it. It felt good to me, and seeing it was Friday after a week of work, most people would look forward to relaxing. So the theme would be relaxation.

The goal was to get to the studio early, to meditate, ground myself, and set up for the class. It was my time to calm my energies down, focus them to calm others and radiate a feeling of love, safety, and calm. I was able to do so, for I found a change in my voice, however a slight bubble of excitement/ adrenalin remained. However when we sat down for class I think something else took over, perhaps the calmness I had planted during my own meditation.

I realized if I was stressed out, or made it so formal, people would not be able to relax, and meditate. I think closing the eyes and clearing the mind, needs trust to be able to relax. One needs to be very practiced to be able to focus, meditate in a stressful situation. So I began with introductions, and everyone telling a funny story, because laughter IS the best medicine to melt the worries away. Smiles are also this amazing way of reaching out to people and releasing those endorphins. Then I began the meditation part.

The meditation was composed of 4 parts: 1 Relaxing through intentional deep breathing; 2 Relaxing through letting go; 3 Relaxing and deepening through visualization; 4 Deepening the meditation by letting go, focusing on natural breathing and observing the mind. I will explain these different meditation techniques in blogs to come!

The class went well and people were indeed relaxed, and one student actually described that they had relaxed so deep, that their mind went blank. Another student described that the meditation really helped refresh them after the week, and they felt glowing and radiant after. This made me happy, however I did notice it was tough to practice being a facilitator/ leading the meditation. Especially keeping time, was tough due to having to look at my phone.

I look forward to leading more meditations in the future!


Breathe!


Picture Courtesy Conscious Culture



1 comment:

  1. Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next.. HYPNOSIS

    ReplyDelete